Posts tagged ‘Historic West End’

Plush Mill Mural

This mural on the former Plush Mill depicts scenes of the former Greenville mill town. This is now the home of Serendipity Labs coworking space. As shown in the detail below, the mural blends with building features while including a map of former mill locations on the Greenville Street layout.

Photo by Mike Nice

Mary’s at Falls Cottage

Photo by Mike Nice

Photo by Mike Nice

The historic Falls Cottage building located on South Main Street next to the entrance to Falls Park now houses Mary’s restaurant, but it has served as a number of functions since being built in the West End in 1896: anything from a gas station to offices. Many people pass this restaurant in the evening when it is no longer open, and do not even realize it is a restaurant.

The Falls Cottage building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

History Tile

Photo by Mike Nice

Photo by Mike Nice

This tile art is one of a series of tiles embedded in the sidewalks of the West End that contain historical facts. Some excerpts:

  • The land for Furman University, 50 acres located at Augusta and Church Streets, was purchased from Vardry McBee for $7515.00.
  • Albert Einstein visited Furman frequently. He had a son and relatives that lived in the area.
  • Furman moved to Greenville in 1851 from Winnsboro, SC.
  • Dr. George Washington Carver spoke to students in 1923.