Posts from the ‘historic preservation’ category

McClaren Medical Shelter

Photo by Mike Nice

The historic McClaren Medical Shelter is located in the West End on Wardlaw Street.

Dr. E. E. McClaren, an African American physician founded this private hospital in this location in 1949 because he was denied practice at Greenville General Hospital (white). The hospital had nine beds and served Greenville’s African American community. 1

Although eligible for the National Register of Historic places, it is not yet protected. The area is under study by developers for modern uses, and there is ongoing discussion about how to preserve it in place or move it or make it a museum.

To the Moon!

Photo by Mike Nice

This space suit exhibit was part of the Greenville Textile Heritage Society Festival held at Textile Heritage Park. This was a prototype suit of the type worn by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin for the first moon landing.

The JP Stevens / Slater Plant produced the textile material for these space suits and later shuttle components.

The Greenville Textile Heritage Society Festival event was to celebrate the start of Phase 2 building of Textile Heritage Park.

Wilkins House

Photo by Mike Nice

The Wilkins House originally stood where the Waterstone on Augusta was built. Rather than destroy this piece of Greenville’s heritage, the builder worked with the Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation, the community, and a private buyer to move, save and preserve it.

The Italianate architecture is so unique that the house is now on the national register of historic places, despite being relocated and remodeled in the past.

Vardry Mill Wheel

Photo by Mike Nice

This round stone is seen by the RiverPlace walkway under the Main Street bridge. More than just a stone, it is thought to be one of the grain grinding wheels from the original Vardry McBee grist mill back in the early 1800’s. Several years ago, it was retrieved from the bottom of the Reedy River and moved under the bridge.