This mural on the building at 214 West Stone Avenue was painted earlier this year by Stone Academy Students under the direction of artist Calista Bockenstette.
This mural on the Rite Aid at the corner of North Main and Stone Avenue was painted last year by the Stone Academy fifth grade class under the direction of their Art Instructor, Eric Benjamin. It is a Greenville take of the artist Georges Seurat’s "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte".
The local elements place the scene in Falls Park on the banks of the Reedy River, with Shoeless Joe Jackson in the foreground, and bicyclists and Yoga activities along with the typical afternoon Falls Park views.
These murals are painted on the SaveMart at the gateway to the Poe Mill community as part of the community revitalization. Elements of the murals were suggested by the F.W. Poe Textile Heritage Society to tie them into the community’s past as a center of textile production.
The murals were painted by Adam Schrimmer, with community members assisting under his direction.
The Greenville Center for Creative Arts is newly located in the historic Brandon Mill. A section of the offices have been renovated for use as art galleries, studios, and learning classrooms.
The Brandon Mill is also the mill that Shoeless Joe Jackson played for during his notable career.
An artist creates a scene out of spray paint at Innoskate.
“The Runner” is a new piece of artwork by Kathleen King. Commissioned by the Greenville Track Club, the kinetic sculpture depicts a runner in full stride. The elements of the sculpture are periodically rearranged by the wind, creating a varying appearance. The sculpture is located near the Bramlett Road railroad crossing off the Swamp Rabbit Trail.
These young ladies are putting the finishing touches on a new piece of public artwork in Travelers Rest behind the Forest cafe on the last day of their Summer camp. The main structure is constructed using a technique called cob – in which sand, straw and local clay soil are used to create a sturdy wall and is sealed to withstand the elements. The camp was sponsored by the Trail Potter Clay Studio in Travelers Rest, and the camp students designed and built this structure in the 5 days of camp. The fanciful design looks as though it could have come out of a fairy tale!
This original stained glass window artwork is in the First Presbyterian church on West Washington Street in the Harper Chapel. It contains a number of biblical themes interwoven with a local influence. The river might symbolize the local foliage along the Reedy River passing through the region, along with a view of the area foothills and mountains.
This tile art is one of a series of tiles embedded in the sidewalks of the West End that contain historical facts. Some excerpts:
- The land for Furman University, 50 acres located at Augusta and Church Streets, was purchased from Vardry McBee for $7515.00.
- Albert Einstein visited Furman frequently. He had a son and relatives that lived in the area.
- Furman moved to Greenville in 1851 from Winnsboro, SC.
- Dr. George Washington Carver spoke to students in 1923.
This new mural on the Innovate Building by the Blank Canvas Mural Company pays tribute to Greenville’s past in textile making, and invites the reader to explore present day Greenville.