Spring has appeared in front of the St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
Second Presbyterian Church on the corner of Rhett and River Streets.
The First Presbyterian Church on the corner of Washington and Richardson Streets.
“Shoeless Joe” Jackson attended the Brandon United Methodist Church when he lived in Greenville, located next to the Brandon Mill where he worked (now the Greenville Center for Creative Arts).
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church , located at the intersection of Highway 14 and 101 in Greer, SC
Slater Methodist Church, Slater-Marietta, SC
Processed with Rookie
Early in the Pendleton Street Baptist Church building’s history, the situation contributed to the growth of the congregation:
Try to visualize land on the east side of Markley Street where it meets Pendleton Street1 as a farm with a two-story residence centering it. Other homes in the area had already become a well defined community on the west side of the Reedy River. Before the time of motor vehicles, that area was a long way from the First Baptist Church of Greenville at its West MacBee Avenue address.2
1The section known as Pendleton Street in those days is now part of South Main Street.
2History of Pendleton Street Baptist Church, Greenville, South Carolina, 1889-1985
If plans continue as they are today, the days of the Pendleton Street Baptist Church building are numbered. Because the building needs repairs and the land on which the church stands is worth so much, it makes financial sense for the congregation to sell the church and most of the land and build a new building. Although the congregation traces its roots back to 1889, the current second building was completed in 1963.
Current plans are to replace the church buildings and most of the parking lot with an apartment building. This will certainly change the character of that part of South Main Street.
The Pendleton Street Baptist Church has a close relationship with the Saint Paul United Methodist Church across the street, and the two congregations will work to share that resource while a new building is being built.
The chapel at the Travelers Rest United Methodist Church.
The Saint Mary’s Catholic Church as seen from the Washington Street side. The building was built in 1904, expanded in 1956, and restored in 2002.