The historic McClaren Medical Shelter is located in the West End on Wardlaw Street.
Dr. E. E. McClaren, an African American physician founded this private hospital in this location in 1949 because he was denied practice at Greenville General Hospital (white). The hospital had nine beds and served Greenville’s African American community. 1
Although eligible for the National Register of Historic places, it is not yet protected. The area is under study by developers for modern uses, and there is ongoing discussion about how to preserve it in place or move it or make it a museum.