Early in the Pendleton Street Baptist Church building’s history, the situation contributed to the growth of the congregation:
Try to visualize land on the east side of Markley Street where it meets Pendleton Street1 as a farm with a two-story residence centering it. Other homes in the area had already become a well defined community on the west side of the Reedy River. Before the time of motor vehicles, that area was a long way from the First Baptist Church of Greenville at its West MacBee Avenue address.2
1The section known as Pendleton Street in those days is now part of South Main Street.
2History of Pendleton Street Baptist Church, Greenville, South Carolina, 1889-1985